Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tired days

Well, we were up quite a bit last night... it's been a little while since we had a run of lows through the night...but last night was one of them.

Since we have to wait a full 30 minutes for Jess to respond to sugar, it takes a while. We had her pump OFF for an hour and a half and still couldn't get her over 100.  She was hovering in the 80s and 90s, so not really alarming, but tiring all the same. It is a big pain in the neck for her too- because she fully wakes up for every night time check. She is an extremely light sleeper.

So, anyway- today I'm tired. Especially since I am still recovering from Lyme's disease- I get tired so much more easily.

So- expectations for today were adjusted this morning. Laundry? nah. Vacuuming? Not a priority.
I took a long nap and I'm going to sit here on the couch until I muster the energy to make dinner. I might even use paper plates.

Jess, on the other hand, just had coffee with her breakfast and continued life as normal. :)
She is a real trooper!

When I'm this tired and my brain is also extra fuzzy from the lyme, it does make for some funny scenarios.

I tried to put the milk away in the trashcan.
I walk in a room and forget why I'm there.
I call someone on the phone and forget momentarily who I am calling while it is ringing!
And I'm now terrible at multitasking! (This is not good!)

Hopefully, I will regain a clear brain when I finish the medication for the lyme- but as we all know, the tiredness is always a possibility lurking around the corner, or maybe more like a constant slightly annoying friend.

I remember when I first realized that night time checks would never go away. Oh my goodness, it was such a sinking feeling. When you get up in the middle of the night for infants and small children, you know there is a goal in sight at least. The goal is for them to sleep through the night and for Mom and Dad to return to 'normal.' Our children were not great sleepers (lots of ear infections) so I had 10 years of no regular sleep.  When Jess was diagnosed I'd been sleeping through the night w/out interruption for about 7 years.  And now sleepful rest was not just slipping through my fingers... but it was being snatched from my daughter at way too young. Jess wakes up for every check, We've tried to do it in her sleep, but she is just too light a sleeper.

This is all getting to be too long of a post.. so, I'll just sum it up with night time checking stinks!! I know it is necessary and keeps them safe, but I hate when highs and lows just seem to get stuck and it always happens late at night.



No comments: