Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Answer for Everything

So, at the risk of sounding preachy... I'm going to share anyway.

God's Word- The Bible. It really does hold the answers to everything.

The other day I was feeling pretty depressed and defeated.
One of my friends just told me her husband has been diagnosed with cancer.
The same day I heard details about a really nasty divorce situation.

Horrible, horrible circumstances.

Then I went home and the next day I just felt buried in a big pile of the usual stinkiness of life. So, I crawled into my bed and pulled the covers over my head to try and hide from it all.

I really did.

A nap helped me cope- but I still felt depressed... thoughts were flitting through my head.

Bad thoughts, but real ones like:

What are you doing God?
Where are you?
Why is everything so hopeless?
Are we just meant to barely hang on? 
Where is the victory?

Then I'd go into the self-depreciating remarks in my head:
It isn't even your husband!
You're not the one with diabetes!
Your problems are minuscule- what is your problem.
You are such a big wimp!!!

Finally on that 3rd day, I opened my Bible.
I read the designated passage for the day and then some thought made me turn to Psalm 119.

As I started to look through my notes written in the margins, God began to stir my heart.
God said: 'I'm here!'

I felt better already.
And hope grew.

Psalm 119-
it is all about how God's Word is important and vital, and essential and the answer to everything!

Here are my notes :

vs. 1- 22:
The results of being in God's Word
A resolve to do it, obey it
Need to make His Word a priority
Ask for understanding

then a whole list of when and in what circumstances God's Word can help!!! Choose your trial from the smorgesborg offered... truly the answer for every problem under the sun-

when enemies accuse me (23 +24)
when I am depressed (25-32)

My soul melts from heaviness;
Strengthen me according to your Word.

This was just how I felt!


Remove from me the way of lying,

the thoughts in my head had been lies... It is a lie that God isn't going to do anything. It is a lie that I'm helpless and useless. It is a lie that life is pointless.

And grant me your law graciously.
I have chosen the way of truth

Yes! 
I choose Truth- Truth that God loves, God cares, God WINS- even when I don't see it. This is living by faith. A testimony of faith.

and Psalm 119 goes on...
When I need God to change my heart (because I can't do it myself) (33-  40)
When I am afraid and need to TRUST (41- 48)
another note: the psalmist has learned God's Word enough to be able to love it

God's Word gives life and comfort (49- 52)
God's Word is a part of who I am (55-56)
Example of submission and repentance (57- 60)
When held captive - turn to God's Word (61)
In giving thanks, even in trials (63-72)

Remember that God created me (73)
I can/need to encourage others (74- 79)
Keep me blameless (80)

When my soul faints and my eyes fail (81-86)
Even when people are trying to kill me! ( 87-88)
Eternal perspective!!! ( 89- 96)
God's Word is the only thing that keeps me going in trials! ( 92- 94)

Obedience to God's Word brings understanding (97-104)
Gives guidance (105- 112)

Now the psalmist's heart has been changed ( 113- 120)... this is what happens once I meditate on God's Word... and yes, God did it in me once again.

Hope filled my heart. :) 
Joy restored. 

(115) According to your Word- God's Word promises to revive us!

God's Word is our help!! ( 161-176)

Psalm 107 also gives some situations where god's help is the answer... but the other day it was Psalm 119 that God used to restore my hope and my joy.


And we need that joy- I need it. 


Because the Joy of the Lord is my strength in whatever life throws at me. 

My friend still has cancer
Jess still has diabetes..
So many people are still suffering.


But, God restores and comforts.
He pulls me up from the heap, out of the pit of despair, to walk with Him.

Come to Me all who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matthew 11: 28-30

Thank you, Lord, for your Word. Your amazing, living Word that can change my heart and turn me around. Every time.




1 comment:

Tracy1918 said...

I had a week like that recently. Actually, about the same time as you...right before Christmas. I just saw the negative side of everything and was so depressed. Frustrated. I didn't open my bible and didn't really care. THANKFULLY God brought me to my senses again. I opened His Word and it changed my heart. It makes me so thankful for his amazing grace...