Thursday, December 22, 2011

Diabetes... a little bit of Jesus...

A common theme in our house when we talk about diabetes is how hard it is that other people just don't 'get it.' It truly is one of the most difficult aspects of the disease.

All of the crazy comments people make
The well meaning, but inappropriate advice
The thinking it is 'not a big deal'
Just plain ol misinformation

Well, I got to thinking about it... and how living in the loneliness of no one (outside the DOC) 'getting it,' - it reminded me of Jesus.

Jesus lived His whole life with very few people 'getting it.'
Even His own disciples asked Him 'when will you come into your kingdom?' (they thought a politcal, physical kingdom/rule was imminent. They didn't get it.)

There were many times that  Jesus had to deal with:


All of the crazy comments people make ( why aren't you fasting? why do you heal on the Sabbath, how can I come out of my mother's womb again?)
The well meaning, but inappropriate advice ( should we call down fire on them!?)
Just plain ol misinformation ( thinking he was healing by the power of Beelzebub)

In fact, when I look at all Jesus dealt with as far as being alone and His best friends not even really understanding, being accused of things He didn't do... diabetes starts to pale a little in comparison.

But my main point is this... not only does Jesus know what this feels like- whenever we feel alone or misunderstood, we can know that we are sharing a suffering that Christ suffered.

As Christians, our goal is to be more like Christ, right? And knowing, experiencing, what He experienced is to be more like Him.

So, the next time some one looks at me like I'm are a super over protective weirdo- mom...
because they just don't get it

Or-
the next time someone asks if Jess 'can eat that??"  "Is it on your diet?"

I'm going to say a silent prayer and thank God that He KNOWS and He CARES. And I'll ask Him to fill me once again with His Holy Spirit that I can walk out this journey knowing Him more - in any way that He chooses for me to know Him- suffering and all.

that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.


Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.
Philippians 3:10-12



1 comment:

Tracy1918 said...

Susie, I love this post! I have often felt so misunderstood, but you are exactly right! Jesus understands. He knows and can give us the strength and wisdom we need to get through. Love this post.