Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Climbing back up... to stand on the Truth

I've seen it.
I've done it.
I'm not going to do it anymore.

Diabetes superstitions.

'Oh, don't say you're at a good number, don't say things are going well! '
(because you'll make things turn bad if you do!)

I've done that.
 In fact, as I started the new year- I thought, should I even ask for a better year??
Will I just be asking for trouble??
 I mean, at the end of 2010 (our dxd year) I said- 'surely 2011 will be a better year!'

and, honestly, it hasn't been a great year. Pretty much a stinky year.
God has carried us through, of course, and He is ever Faithful to be here with us, comforting and just being... you know.

But it wasn't fun.

So, I prayed with trepidation... Lord, could this year be better? Can we rest from bad things?

I'm not proud of this: my trepidation.
 I'm just being honest.

Because you know what that is? My trembling prayer?

It is superstition.
 Thinking bad things will happen because I am hoping for good things.
Thinking bad things will happen if I don't knock on wood.
OK- I don't really knock on wood, but is it really that different?

It got me thinking about all of the things we think will happen by what we say/do with diabetes-
we don't want to 'jinx it'... believing in superstition.

I did the same thing when my kids were babies and they didn't sleep.

I was desperate!
And desperation drove me to superstition.

Oh sure, it seemed harmless, it's half in jest... of course.

Superstition defined by dictionary.com:
noun
1.
a belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge, in or of the ominous significance of a particular thing,circumstance, occurrence, proceeding, or the like.
2.
a system or collection of such beliefs.
3.
a custom or act based on such a belief.
4.
irrational fear of what is unknown or mysterious, especiallyin connection with religion.
5.
any blindly accepted belief or notion.


It is based on fear and not on truth. 

And yet, I KNOW the truth.

It is not true that God is 'out to get me' with bad things happening this coming year.


And what brought this all to the front?

Yesterday I spent the day in the emergency room with Kate (my non-D 13 year old.)
Saturday night she had shown me her knees - they were blue, purple and green bruised and very swollen. She said she is SURE she did not fall and hurt herself. Her legs hurt.

I didn't believe her. I figured she'd fallen and didn't remember.

Sunday night (January 1st! )- she showed me her legs again. Now she had green bruises all over. Ankle, shin, upper thigh. Her whole right leg hurt and looked green. 

Now I was concerned. But, it was 10:30 PM. 
We went to bed and... guess what I thought about?

'Why did I pray that stupid prayer? Why did I ask for good things?'

I prayed for Kate too, but that thought kept coming back to my head.

So, Monday morning- still all bruised up, I called the Dr. No answer, not even the 'call' line. Everyone is taking the day off.

So, off to the emergency room. 
I never, ever go to the emergency room.
In fact, this is my very first time in 20 years of parenting of going to the emergency room without a doctor telling me I MUST go. (See diagnosis story)

But I had looked up 'unexplained bruises' on the internet that morning and it said bad things and it said 'see a doctor immediately.'

So, we went and, of course, we waited. 
And while we waited to hear if she had leukemia or lymphoma or a number of other blood diseases... I apologized to the Lord. 

Really, I did.

How stupid of me to believe in superstitions when I KNOW the TRUTH.
God does not 'get me' with bad things when I ask for good!
He was right there, holding me up so patiently as usual.

He sustains me. He fills me with HOPE.
I didn't know yet what would happen to Kate,
but I knew, I really did, that God would carry us through and that God is GOOD.

The same is true with diabetes.

It is not fun.
It is hard.
But I don't need to fear or despair because I know the TRUTH

I read this this morning:

Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed
Because His compassions fail not,
They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.
The Lord is my portion, says my soul, therefore I hope in Him.

The Lord is good to those who wait for Him,
To the soul who seeks Him.

read that again- The Lord is GOOD 

It is good that one should HOPE and WAIT quietly
For the salvation of the Lord. 
Lamentations 3: 22, 25-26

It is really true! 
Even when everything is just not working- the numbers are too high for days or too low for days, or we come up with a plan and the plan fails... or we fail.... or we see our child struggling with the weight of it all.... even then- 

God is GOOD. 
His mercies are new every morning.

I will not fear or worry.
Instead, I will HOPE.
I will hope in My God who has and does and will provide everything I need.
I will hope in all that HE will work in me and my child through this illness.
Character transformed- self control, self discipline, faithfulness, compassion- so much GOOD can come from it all! 

I will speak and think and do not from irrational fear (superstition) but from TRUTH.


Kate is going to be OK. It was none of the scary things- no leukemia or lymphoma, not a blood clot. We don't know yet what is going on... back to the regular doctor... 

but I know 2012 will be another year where God shows Himself to me in Mighty Ways 

and I will keep asking Him to glorify Himself through me
no matter where I end up



2 comments:

NikDuck said...

Hello, I came to your blog from Tracy. I'm glad to have found another Christian Mom blogger! My daughter is now 6 and was diagnosed a year and a half ago. I can relate to your feelings of "superstition" in how we pray. I do the same thing. Glad to hear it is not any of the scary things for your daughter. Nicole

Tracy1918 said...

Yikes! Glad you took her and I hope you figure it out soon!!